Foods Suitable for a Ketogenic Diet
Foods High in Fat
Regular Cream cheese
Full Fat Tasty cheese
Camembert / Brie
Meat & Protein Sources
Bacon (full fat)
Meat products with visible fats
Oils and fats
i.e. Coconut oil, canola, olive, peanut oil, sesame oil.
Fruit & Nuts
Dark Chocolate Unsweetened
Cocao (unsweetened chocolate)
Natural Peanut Butter
The following vegetables can be eaten relatively freely due to their low carbohydrate content, high fibre and nutritional value.
- Cruciferous Vegetables such as Broccoli, Cauliflower, Cabbage, and Brussels Sprout
- Leafy Greens such as Spinach, Chard, Lettuce
- Lemons and Limes
The following fruit & vegetables can be eaten with moderation
(i.e. make up about 50-100g per day as these are slightly higher in carbohydrate than the above but are important to include due to their equally valuable fibre content and high nutritional value.
- Capsicum / bell peppers
Foods to avoid when following a ketogenic diet
- Wheat and products of (i.e. bread, breakfast cereals, grains, crackers, biscuits)
- Potato and products of (i.e. potato chips, hot chips)
- Corn and products of (i.e. corn chips, corn cakes, corn tortillas, corn dips)
- Rice and products of (i.e. rice pudding, rice crackers, rice cakes)
- All baked products such as muffins, bread, slices, biscuits, pancakes, croissants etc.
- Fast Food such as Pizza, French Fries, and Ice Cream
- Regular flavoured yoghurt (natural yoghurt is suitable but pay attention to portion size)
- Milk products (milk alternatives such as unsweetened soy, coconut milk and almond milk are suitable)
- Fruit in general should be consumed with care, pay attention to portion size if you wish to adhere to your daily carbohydrate targets. For example banana & mango, both high carbohydrate could very easily take you over in just one serve.
- Sugar, Honey, Maple Syrup, Corn Syrup (natural & artificial sweeteners such as stevia, aspartame and sucralose are suitable for sugar substitute)
Want a Semi Custom Ketogenic Diet?
Get a tailored ketogenic diet specifically to your needs.
Click here to see meal plan examples or click on the purchase now to get a tailored ketogenic diet.